Your feet are very complex parts of the body and include joints, muscles, ligaments, and nerves. You rely on them daily to help you stand, walk, run, dance, and more. For this reason, your feet are prone to overuse and wear and tear injuries as well as conditions and diseases.
If you develop a foot-related issue, it’s time to see a podiatrist. A podiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of injuries, conditions, and diseases related to the foot and ankle. If you ever need medical care for your feet, a podiatrist is a right professional to see.
When to See a Podiatrist
Typically, when you have a foot issue, one of the first symptoms you will experience is pain. This is generally a sign that you need medical attention. If you have any of the following symptoms, you should see a podiatrist:
- Severe foot pain following an accident at home or work or while exercising or playing a sport
- Foot pain that is persistent and won’t go away
- Pain that has increased in intensity over time
- Evident swelling on the foot or ankle
- An open wound that is not healing normally (especially if you have diabetes)
- A wound that is showing signs of infection
- You are feeling a warm or burning sensation
- The foot feels tender to the touch
- The foot feels numb or you are experiencing a tingling sensation
- The foot is showing skin changes, such as redness or a rash
- Getting up and walking has become increasingly difficult
- Your foot is having trouble bearing your weight when you stand
- Symptoms do not improve after a week of home treatment and rest
Mild foot pain typically responds to self-treatment that includes resting, ice and heat therapy, and anti-inflammatory medication. However, if you are unsure of the severity of your injury, it is best to have a podiatrist examine you. It is best to err on the side of caution and see a podiatrist than to delay diagnosis and treatment. A lot of foot-related issues can get worse with time unless treatment is administered quickly. If you are experiencing foot pain, don’t ignore it. Seek treatment today and find relief.
Top Podiatric Care in St. Peters and O’Fallon, Missouri
You deserve the best care possible from a foot and ankle doctor. At Advanced Bone & Joint, our foot and ankle specialist will diagnose the cause of your foot pain and recommend the appropriate course of treatment to get you back on your feet quickly. Whether it’s arthritis, a torn ligament, or a fracture, we have the experience and expertise to approach the issue with both surgical and non-surgical treatments.
Find out how we can make your foot pain go away quickly and effectively. To schedule a consultation with our foot and ankle specialist, call (636) 229-4222 or request an appointment now. We look forward to serving you soon!