As with any major decision, undergoing a surgical repair for your musculoskeletal injury requires considerable forethought and proper planning. You want to take every means necessary to ensure its success.
Knowing the right questions to ask your orthopedic surgeon during your appointment is crucial for both making a well-informed decision and getting adequately prepared for your procedure. The following are some questions about surgical repairs that you may want to ask your orthopedic surgeon about.
Does My Injury Have a Chance to Heal Without the Need for Surgical Repair?
Whether your injury can heal on its own depends on its severity (i.e., extent of damage to the structures in the affected area). Minor orthopedic injuries often resolve with time and basic remedies, but there are those that eventually need surgery if the symptoms don’t respond to conservative interventions. Severe injuries, such as grade 3 ACL tears and open fractures, almost always warrant immediate surgery to prevent potentially serious complications.
What Kind of Surgical Repair Do I Need?
The kind of surgery you need depends on your specific type of injury. For example, if you have an open foot fracture, your surgeon may recommend open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF) to repair it. Open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF) is a procedure in which your surgeon uses screws, metal rods, or plates to put the broken bones back in their proper place and alignment.
What Is the Recovery Time for My Specific Procedure?
Recovery time can vary from patient to patient: it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months. How fast you can bounce back from your procedure hinges on a number of factors, including your overall health, the injury for which you were treated, the type of surgical repair performed, and your adherence to your rehabilitation plan.
Other Questions to Ask Your Orthopedic Surgeon
In addition to the questions listed above, you may find these worth asking your orthopedic surgeon:
- What are the risks involved?
- What are the success and complication rates for my specific procedure?
- What does a minimally invasive surgical technique involve? Is it better than the traditional approach? Does that mean I can return to my normal activities quickly?
- What type of anesthesia will you administer?
- Is this an outpatient procedure, or do I need to stay in the hospital overnight?
- Do I need to undergo preoperative tests?
- What specific preparations do I need to make?
- How soon do I need to see you for follow-up appointment after my surgery?
- Is physical therapy necessary? How soon will I start?
- What home and lifestyle modifications do I need to make following my surgery?
- Will my procedure be covered by insurance?
Orthopedic Surgeon in St. Peters, O’Fallon and Wentzville, MO
If you have a musculoskeletal problem for which specialized care may be necessary, visit us here at Advanced Bone & Joint. Our team includes board-certified orthopedic surgeons who pride themselves on their sharp clinical acumen, extensive experience, and commitment to ensuring the best possible patient outcomes. They will gladly explain your options and set realistic expectations, and you can count on them to take all necessary measures to ensure you have a safe, comfortable, and successful recovery.
Call today at (636) 229-4222 or fill out this online request form to set up a consultation with one of our orthopedic surgeons.